Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Inquisition has returned...

Its turned cold here in the north, so I'm back at the painting table and putting in some work with all my other stuff now garaged up for the winter.

This miniature has been in my collection for years as bare metal then on my desk unfinished.  I felt sad for I didn't, but it sounds I thought it would be a good to finish it up finally.

 It's a nice mini.  I had a bit of fun with the base.  Those concrete beam pieces are leftover resin sprue.
 I went back to tried and true red for the cap.
The skull is from Secret Weapons I believe.
Good pic of the book.  Got a bunch more coming.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Old Stuff Wednesday - October: A racey Eldar Falcon

Wow...this was a long time ago.  I stumbled across these photos the other day looking at old stuff.  This probably circa 2000 or earlier...
It was absolutely my favorite model from the Eldar range, just a really cool set of lines and design.
I also really was not very good with a brush back then.  I was still learning how to paint.  The blue is a metallic Testor's blue, matching Jeff Gordon's Dupont color for his model race car.  I still have the rattle can.  Yes, I rattle canned that blue, no airbrush.
Damn cool model.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Old Stuff Wednesday: Ultramarine Captain (Now OOP)

This is an old one, about 2002 for me.  I picked it up back then because I liked the Roman Centurion overtones.  I was probably the first time that I really tried to do some blending.
GW's spacemarines have really come a long ways since these OOP metals.
Ah the power gladius.  I believe that I converted the sword as the gladius was so short.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Old Stuff Wednesday: The Cerulean Templar

My first Cerulean Templar Emperor's Champion.  A lot of conversion work on this model dating back to around 2001.
I used a few Bretonian parts, but the bulk of the model was my green stuff sculpting in the Head, band around the head, the robe, the mail, and a bunch of other little things.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Another WIP On the Desk: More Dark Ages and Saxons

These will be leaving the desk a little bit later today.  Still have some detailing and eyeballs to do yet. 

 Above you see some of the skirmishers that I'm working on, and to the right a couple of Saxons.

Below a few Saxons and a couple of Vikings. 
With the Saxons, I'm going to be using a lot of different paint schemes with them to distinguish them a bit from Vikings.
A Viking berserker worked his way into the mix.  This is a converted Warlord Games model, like the one between the Saxons in the above photo.
 Below is a close up of one of the Saxons.  I really did not use a lot of these colors with my Vikings.  Even the leather is in a different color scheme.
These will get put in the que to clearcoat.  Once I get a big enough batch, I'll move onto doing that and the basing.  Next up.....more....

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

More WIP on the Desk: Dark Ages 40k Inquisitor Knight

Okay so the title makes little sense until you see the pictures.

I've made a little progress on the Inquisitor that has been sitting on my desk.  Getting closer.  The base is looking pretty cool.  I have probably close to 30 miniatures sitting on the desk at the moment.  The previous 35-40 have moved onto storage for clear coating.
The Saxons have started to finally trickle onto the desk.  Really have enjoyed painting them.
 A few more Saxons, some skirmishers, the Old Glory vikings in the center, and few more my Foundry Vikings.  I'm painting a lot of things at random at the moment, just to keep everything fresh prior to doing some more Romans.  This batch has a very limited pallette of colors thus far.  Some will get finished some will get set aside for detailing when I get to using some other colors. 
Thus far most all of those minis have just been based with one metallic color and one rosy flesh color over the base coated flesh.  Probably a couple more nights and they'll be done and I'll put the next big batch on the table.

And its not just miniatures that I'm working on.  I started work on the Stronghold.....errrrr.....Elladan Dark Ages terrain piece.  I really like the looks of this.  Its rather early in the process of paint, but its looking good thus far.
 Below you see a Gripping Beast Viking posed with it.
Almost forgot the Reaper Knight.  Once its finished it will go up on Ebay.
 Here you can see the test piece that I did for painting the old wood.  The dead tree looks pretty good, got a bit further to go on the building.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Alpha Legion becomes the 4Kbench

A blog that I'm following update:  One of the blogs that I have followed for quite awhile is the Alpha Legion now named the 4Kbench.  There is some very good conversion and paint work on it.  Very much worth following: